New Jardiance® (empagliflozin) data show improved CV outcomes regardless of heart failure status at baseline
"Cardiovascular disease, including heart failure, is the leading cause of death associated with diabetes," said
New data also presented today demonstrate JARDIANCE reduced the risk of the composite endpoint of rates of hospitalization for heart failure or death from heart failure by 39 percent compared with placebo when added to standard of care in patients with T2D at high risk of CV events.
"To date, no glucose-lowering medication has been shown to reduce the risk of hospitalization for heart failure or death from heart failure in a cardiovascular outcomes study," said Prof.
About EMPA-REG OUTCOME
EMPA-REG OUTCOME was a long-term, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of more than 7,000 patients from 42 countries with T2D at high risk for CV events.
The study assessed the effect of JARDIANCE (10 mg or 25 mg once daily) added to standard of care compared with placebo added to standard of care. Standard of care was comprised of glucose-lowering agents and CV drugs (including for blood pressure and cholesterol). The primary endpoint was defined as time to first occurrence of CV death, non-fatal heart attack or non-fatal stroke.
Over a median of 3.1 years, JARDIANCE significantly reduced the risk of CV death, non-fatal heart attack or non-fatal stroke by 14 percent versus placebo. Risk of CV death was reduced by 38 percent, with no significant difference in the risk of non-fatal heart attack or non-fatal stroke. Treatment with JARDIANCE also resulted in a 32 percent reduced risk of all-cause mortality and a 35 percent reduced risk of hospitalization for heart failure.
The overall safety profile of JARDIANCE was consistent with that of previous trials. The incidence of diabetic ketoacidosis was at or below 0.1 percent and similar across all treatment groups.
Approximately 29 million Americans and an estimated 387 million people worldwide have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and nearly 28 percent of Americans with diabetes—totaling 8 million people—are undiagnosed. In the U.S., approximately 12 percent of those aged 20 and older have diabetes. T2D is the most common type, accounting for an estimated 90 to 95 percent of all diagnosed adult diabetes cases in the U.S. Diabetes is a chronic condition that occurs when the body either does not properly produce, or use, the hormone insulin.
What is JARDIANCE?
JARDIANCE is a once-daily pill taken in the morning, used along with diet and exercise, to lower blood sugar (A1C) in adults with type 2 diabetes.
JARDIANCE is not for people with type 1 diabetes or for people with diabetic ketoacidosis (increased ketones in the blood or urine).
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
What is the most important information I should know about JARDIANCE?
JARDIANCE can cause serious side effects, including:
Dehydration. JARDIANCE can cause some people to have dehydration (the loss of body water and salt).
Dehydration may cause you to feel dizzy, faint, light-headed, or weak, especially when you stand up.
You may be at a higher risk of dehydration if you:
- have low blood pressure
- take medicines to lower your blood pressure, including water pills (diuretics)
- are on a low salt diet
- have kidney problems
- are 65 years of age or older
- Vaginal yeast infection. Women who take JARDIANCE may get vaginal yeast infections. Talk to your doctor if you experience vaginal odor, white or yellowish vaginal discharge (discharge may be lumpy or look like cottage cheese), and/or vaginal itching.
- Yeast infection of the penis. Men who take JARDIANCE may get a yeast infection of the skin around the penis, especially uncircumcised males and those with chronic infections. Talk to your doctor if you experience redness, itching or swelling of the penis, rash of the penis, foul smelling discharge from the penis, and/or pain in the skin around the penis.
Who should not take JARDIANCE?
- Do not take JARDIANCE if you are allergic to empagliflozin or any of the ingredients in JARDIANCE.
- Symptoms of serious allergic reactions to JARDIANCE may include:
- skin rash
- raised red patches on your skin (hives)
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue, and throat that may cause difficulty breathing or swallowing.
If you have any of these symptoms, stop taking JARDIANCE and contact your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room right away.
- Do not take JARDIANCE if you have severe kidney problems or are on dialysis.
What should I tell my doctor before using JARDIANCE?
Tell your doctor if you:
- have kidney problems. Your doctor may do blood tests to check your kidneys before and during your treatment with JARDIANCE.
- have liver problems
- have a history of urinary tract infections or problems with urination
- have any other medical conditions
- are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. It is unknown if JARDIANCE will harm your unborn baby.
- are breastfeeding, or plan to breastfeed. It is unknown if JARDIANCE passes into your breast milk.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements. Especially tell your doctor if you take water pills (diuretics) or medicines that can lower your blood sugar such as insulin.
What are other possible side effects of JARDIANCE?
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia): if you take JARDIANCE with another medicine that can cause low blood sugar, such as sulfonylurea or insulin, your risk of low blood sugar is higher. The dose of your sulfonylurea or insulin may need to be lowered. Symptoms of low blood sugar may include:
- Shaking or feeling jittery
- Fast heart beat
- Kidney Problems, especially in people 75 years of age or older and people who already have kidney problems.
- Urinary Tract Infection: symptoms may include burning feeling when passing urine, pain in the pelvis or back, or urine that looks cloudy.
- Increased fats in your blood (cholesterol).
The most common side effects of JARDIANCE include urinary tract infections and yeast infections in females.
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the
For more information, please see Full Prescribing Information, including Patient Information.
JAR CONS ISI
Boehringer Ingelheim and
Boehringer Ingelheim is one of the world's 20 leading pharmaceutical companies. Headquartered in Ingelheim,
Boehringer Ingelheim is committed to improving lives and providing valuable services and support to patients and families. Our employees create and engage in programs that strengthen our communities. To learn more about how we make more health for more people, visit our Corporate Social Responsibility Report.
In 2014, Boehringer Ingelheim achieved net sales of about
For more information please visit www.us.boehringer-ingelheim.com, or follow us on Twitter @BoehringerUS.
About Lilly Diabetes
Lilly has been a global leader in diabetes care since 1923, when we introduced the world's first commercial insulin. Today we are building upon this heritage by working to meet the diverse needs of people with diabetes and those who care for them. Through research and collaboration, a broad and growing product portfolio and a continued determination to provide real solutions—from medicines to support programs and more—we strive to make life better for all those affected by diabetes around the world. For more information, visit www.lillydiabetes.com or follow @LillyDiabetes.
Lilly is a global healthcare leader that unites caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We were founded more than a century ago by a man committed to creating high-quality medicines that meet real needs, and today we remain true to that mission in all our work. Across the globe, Lilly employees work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. To learn more about Lilly, please visit us at www.lilly.com and newsroom.lilly.com/social-channels.
This press release contains forward-looking statements (as that term is defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995) about empagliflozin as a treatment for patients with type 2 diabetes along with diet and exercise and reflects Lilly's current belief. However, as with any pharmaceutical product, there are substantial risks and uncertainties in the process of development and commercialization. Among other things, there can be no guarantee that future study results will be consistent with the results to date or that empagliflozin will receive additional regulatory approvals. For further discussion of these and other risks and uncertainties, see Lilly's most recent Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filings with the
Jardiance® is a registered trademark of Boehringer Ingelheim
Director, Public Relations
Phone: (203) 297 1464
Phone: (317) 478 5423
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-jardiance-empagliflozin-data-show-improved-cv-outcomes-regardless-of-heart-failure-status-at-baseline-300174792.html
News Provided by Acquire Media