Lilly commits Insulin Value Program, featuring $35 copay card, to suite of affordability solutions for people with diabetes
The copay card is being added to
"No one should ever have to ration their insulin. That's why we are committed to including the copay card in our ongoing suite of solutions," said
The copay card can be accessed immediately through the
Earlier this year,
"Shifting costs from healthy people to those with chronic conditions such as diabetes is a persistent trend that must be reversed," Mason said. "The Part D Senior Savings Model is a solution-oriented approach to a problem that has affected seniors for a long time. This program will help people living with diabetes who use insulin."
Today's announcement ties to the start of a new awareness program launched by
"We've launched this awareness initiative as part of our ongoing commitment to help people using
"Everyone in the health care community must work together to help patients understand their options if they use insulin," added
Other Savings Options for Patients
A separate copay card for Humulin® R U-500 (insulin human injection, 500 units/mL) allows for a monthly prescription fill for as little as
Terms, conditions, and limitations apply to the
PURPOSE and SAFETY SUMMARY
Important Facts About BAQSIMIä (BAK-see-mee). It is also known as glucagon nasal powder.
BAQSIMI is a prescription medicine used to treat very low blood sugar (severe hypoglycemia) in people with diabetes ages 4 years and above.
It is not known if BAQSIMI is safe and effective in children under 4 years of age.
Do not use BAQSIMI if:
- you have a tumor in the gland on top of your kidneys (adrenal gland) called pheochromocytoma.
- you have a tumor in your pancreas called insulinoma.
- you are allergic to glucagon, or any other ingredient in BAQSIMI.
BAQSIMI may cause serious side effects, including:
High blood pressure. BAQSIMI can cause high blood pressure in certain people with tumors in their adrenal glands.
Low blood sugar. BAQSIMI can cause certain people with tumors in their pancreas to have low blood sugar.
Serious allergic reaction. Call your doctor or get medical help right away if you have a serious allergic reaction including:
- difficulty breathing
- low blood pressure
Common side effects
The most common side effects of BAQSIMI include:
- runny nose
- discomfort in your nose
- stuffy nose
- redness in your eyes
- itchy nose, throat, and eyes
- watery eyes
These are not all the possible side effects of BAQSIMI. For more information, ask your doctor.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You are encouraged to report side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit http://www.fda.gov/medwatch, or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Before getting BAQSIMI, tell your health care provider about all your medical conditions, including if you:
- have a tumor in your pancreas.
- have not had food or water for a long time (prolonged fasting or starvation).
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BAQSIMI passes into your breast milk. You and your doctor should decide if you can use BAQSIMI while breastfeeding.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
How to use
- Read the detailed Instructions for Use that comes with BAQSIMI.
- Use BAQSIMI exactly how your doctor tells you to use it.
- Make sure your caregiver knows where you keep your BAQSIMI and how to use BAQSIMI the right way before you need their help.
- Your doctor will tell you how and when to use BAQSIMI.
- BAQSIMI contains only 1 dose of medicine and cannot be reused.
- BAQSIMI should be given in one side of your nose (nostril) but does not need to be inhaled.
- BAQSIMI will work even if you have a cold or are taking cold medicine.
- After giving BAQSIMI, the caregiver should call for emergency medical help right away.
- If the person does not respond after 15 minutes, another dose may be given, if available.
- Tell your doctor each time you use BAQSIMI.
- Store BAQSIMI at temperatures up to 86°F (30°C).
- Keep BAQSIMI in the shrink wrapped tube until you are ready to use it.
Keep BAQSIMI and all medicines out of the reach of children.
For more information, call 1-800-545-5979 or go to www.baqsimi.com.
Medicines are sometimes prescribed for purposes other than those listed in a Patient Information leaflet. Do not use BAQSIMI for a condition for which it was not prescribed. Do not give BAQSIMI to other people, even if they have the same symptoms that you have. It may harm them.
This summary provides basic information about BAQSIMI but does not include all information known about this medicine. You can ask your pharmacist or doctor for information about BAQSIMI that is written for health professionals. This information does not take the place of talking with your doctor. Be sure to talk to your doctor or other health care provider about BAQSIMI and how to take it. Your doctor is the best person to help you decide if BAQSIMI is right for you.
GN CON BS 24JUL19
PURPOSE and SAFETY SUMMARY
Important Facts About Humulin® (HUE-mu-lin) R U-500. It is also known as insulin human injection (500 units/mL).
Humulin R U-500 is a prescription insulin used in adults and children who need more than 200 units of insulin a day to control high blood sugar for their diabetes mellitus. It is more concentrated than standard insulin. It has 5 times as much insulin in each mL as standard insulin.
It is not known if Humulin R U-500 is safe and effective when used with other insulins, when used in an insulin pump, or in children. There were no studies done in children, so your doctor will give you special instructions for use in children.
Humulin R U-500 may cause serious side effects, including:
- Severe low blood sugar, which can lead to seizures, unconsciousness, and death.
- Severe allergic reactions. Get medical help right away if you develop a rash over your whole body, have trouble breathing, have a fast heartbeat, or are sweating.
- Swelling of your hands and feet. Tell your doctor if you are short of breath, have swelling in your ankles, or have gained weight suddenly.
- Heart failure when taking a medication from a class of drugs called thiazolidinediones (TZDs) with Humulin R U-500. This may occur in some people even if they have not had heart problems before.
- Low potassium in your blood (hypokalemia). This can lead to severe breathing problems, irregular heartbeat, and death.
Do not share your Humulin R U-500 KwikPen® or U-500 syringe with anyone. Even if you have changed the needle, you or the other person can get a serious infection.
When using the Humulin R U-500 KwikPen: The Humulin R U-500 KwikPen is made to dial and deliver the correct dose of Humulin R U-500 insulin. Do not remove Humulin R U-500 from the KwikPen to inject with any syringe. This could cause severe overdose and may lead to death.
When using the Humulin R U-500 vial: There is a special syringe to measure Humulin R U-500 called the "U-500 insulin syringe." Only use the U-500 insulin syringe to inject Humulin R U-500. If you do not use the right syringe, you may take the wrong dose of Humulin R U-500. This could cause severe overdose and may lead to death.
Do NOT perform dose conversion when using the Humulin R U-500 KwikPen or U-500 insulin syringe.
Do not use Humulin R U-500 in an insulin pump or inject it into your vein or muscle.
Do not take this medicine if you have low blood sugar.
Do not change the insulin you use without talking to your doctor. Changing insulin may lead to low or high blood sugar.
Do not drive or use heavy machinery until you know how Humulin R U-500 affects you. Do not drink alcohol while using Humulin R U-500.
Common side effects
The most common side effects of Humulin R U-500 include:
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Talk to your doctor about low blood sugar symptoms and treatment. Symptoms may be different for each person.
- Allergic reactions, such as redness and swelling at the site where you inject.
- Skin thickening or pits at the injection site (lipodystrophy).
- Itching and rash.
These are not all the possible side effects of Humulin R U-500.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects. You can report side effects at 1-800-FDA-1088 or www.fda.gov/medwatch.
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. Also tell your doctor about:
- Any allergies you have. Your doctor can check if the medicine has ingredients that may cause a reaction.
- Any medical conditions, including problems with your liver, kidney, or heart.
- All the medicines you take, especially a class of drugs called thiazolidinediones, or TZDs. Be sure to include the over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements you take.
How to take
- Read the instructions that come with your Humulin R U-500 carefully. Take it exactly the way your doctor tells you.
- Know how much Humulin R U-500 you are supposed to take. Do not change your dose unless your doctor tells you to.
- Check the label of your insulin each time you use it. This will help you make sure you are using the right one.
- Test your blood sugar before you take Humulin R U-500. Do not take it if your blood sugar is too low.
- Do not mix Humulin R U-500 with any other insulin.
- Always use a new needle when injecting Humulin R U-500. This will help you avoid infection.
- Inject Humulin R U-500 under your skin. Change (rotate) where you inject your insulin with each dose. Do not inject your insulin into the exact same spot. Avoid injecting your insulin into areas where the skin has pits or lumps, or is thickened, tender, bruised, scaly, hard, scarred, or damaged. This will help reduce your chance of getting pits, lumps, or thickened skin where you inject your insulin.
For more information, call 1-800-545-5979 or go to humulin.com.
This summary provides basic information about Humulin R U-500 but does not include all information known about this medicine. Read the information that comes with your prescription each time your prescription is filled. This information does not take the place of talking with your doctor. Be sure to talk to your doctor or other healthcare provider about Humulin R U-500 and how to take it. Your doctor is the best person to help you decide if Humulin R U-500 is right for you.
HM CON BS 15NOV2019
Humulin®, KwikPen®, and BAQSIMI® are registered trademarks of
Approximately 34 million Americans1 (just over 1 in 10) and an estimated 463 million adults worldwide2 have diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is the most common type internationally, accounting for an estimated 90 to 95 percent of all diabetes cases in
This press release contains forward-looking statements about the
PP-LD-US-2219 09/2020 ©Lilly
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2020. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services; 2020. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas, 9th edn. Brussels, Belgium: International Diabetes Federation, 2019. Available at: http://diabetesatlas.org.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lilly-commits-insulin-value-program-featuring-35-copay-card-to-suite-of-affordability-solutions-for-people-with-diabetes-301127680.html